Family businesses are very interesting, and it has very different dynamics; you’re dealing with family; your bosses are typically very close family members, and it breeds different relationships. In this episode, Julie Charlestein joins Dr. Eric Block to discuss what it takes to Lead a Family Business successfully!
Julie discusses why there’s a need to prove yourself when a family business is handed over, the importance of getting an outside perspective before getting involved with a family business, the different dynamics of a family business, and the challenges of leading a team and company.
Julie Charlestein is a Philadelphia-based business leader and a healthcare innovator who serves as the CEO of Premier Dental, which is a global provider of inspired solutions for daily dentistry. Leading a fourth-generation, family-owned business as the CEO, Julie is recognized within the dental industry and beyond as a champion of creative healthcare solutions to meet the evolving needs of today’s patients. She was voted as one of the top 25 most influential women in dentistry by the dental products report and nominated as one of IFAH’s Top 100 Healthcare Leaders.
- 00:00:32 – Quick announcement about Dr. Eric’s latest book
- 00:00:45 – Introduction to the episode
- 00:01:20 – About the guest, Julie Charlestein
- 00:02:29 – How Julie got involved with Premier Dental
- 00:05:20 – Handling the pressure of a family business
- 00:06:30 – Importance of getting outside perspective
- 00:07:32 – Different dynamics of a family business
- 00:09:09 – Book: How to Lead Your Family Business
- 00:11:25 – The POV of a Leader or CEO
- 00:13:02 – Learning from mistakes as a leader